Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Laughter is the best medicine

The other day we were invited out to a friend’s house for a pot luck supper. There were a few other families that came as well. It was nice to have a chance to get together with other Christian friends to grow together and build a connection and support. On this evening someone brought a DVD of a Christian comedian. He was clean and for the most part seemed respectful unlike other comedians. Sitting there with our friends watching this guy got me to thinking. Everyone was laughing (some even in a fit of laughter) except for me. Don’t get me wrong, there were a few parts that I found funny and had a good chuckle but for the most part I didn’t laugh. In fact I actually fell asleep at one point! Some of the jokes to me were just common sense. Some were bordering the line of being morbid and when I said something about it the response I got was, “that is why it is so funny”. There is nothing wrong with jokes, I love jokes. So then, why is it that I have trouble laughing at things like comedians and comedies? I went home and started thinking about that. I thought is it because I am not a happy person, No, I am happy. Why would God create me in a way that things that make other people laugh, I either don’t get or don’t care to get? Well the very next day I got my answer! My husband and I were sitting in the living room together. We had 2 little people over at our house for a visit and were really enjoying our time together. Our youngest daughter has a little dog that is only about 7lbs. She really likes the little people that we had at our house and spent a lot of time playing with them. This apparently tired her out because when I was feeding the baby and my husband was snuggling with the little girl the dog finally took some time to sit still. As she sat there she started to fall asleep. Now let me remind you that she didn’t take the time to lie down. While she sat there her head would start to droop. She would jerk quickly and bring it up which happened a few times. Then as she got sleepier she started to fall over to the side. This happened a few times until I was laughing so hard that I was crying. I couldn’t for the life of me think of why she wouldn’t go lie in her bed until I realized that she didn’t want to miss out on the fun with the kids. Anyway after my laughing fit was over she took one long hard disgusted look at me and started to walk to her bed. I couldn’t help but chuckle once again because as she walked she looked like she was 100 years old. After she was out of the room I realized that it hadn’t been the first time that something she had done had brought me to tears with laughter. When she was little we had been watching a movie and one of the kids had been eating Pringles. When they were finished they set the can down on the floor till the movie was over. Jewel (the dog) smelt the chips and decided to have a look. She stuck her head into the can and couldn’t get it back out. We were trying to help but she kept walking around banging into things and everyone was laughing so hard that we couldn’t catch her. I Realized what makes me laugh at that moment sitting there remembering the times I have laughed at her. Life makes me laugh, the things in life that just happen and are not forced. Little people who are just learning who they are, and are trying out new words and new things make me laugh. Animals make me laugh; because they can’t think “is this going to be funny” they just live. When life just happens I laugh, and when I laugh I find myself satisfied with the world. Laughter really is the best medicine

No comments:

Post a Comment